Childsmile is a programme that has been introduced in Glasgow that has been designed to improve the oral health of children and reduce inequalities in both dental health and access to dental treatments.
There are four elements to the Childsmile programme, these are as follows:
- Childsmile Core programme
- Childsmile Practice
- Childsmile Nursery and school
Here at our dental practice in Glasgow we provide the Childsmile programme for children aged from birth right through to 6 years old.
For a child it can be very nerve racking visiting a dental practice, with there being different surroundings, different sights, smells and different sounds. With this in mind our staff do their very best to ensure that each and every child has the best possible experience and do this by showing them the instruments that we use, the use of study aids for example soft toys and we take our time to get the child used to their new surroundings.
Each member of our team never pushes a child into anything that they don’t wish to comply with, so if your child doesn’t feel up to something that day then there is always the next visit to try again.
Throughout the full time that your child is taking part in our Childsmile programme the dentist/Childsmile nurse will:
- Give you information on how teeth grow and develop
- Give you information and advice on teething
- Provide your child with a toothbrushing pack that contains a toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste
- Demonstate tooth brushing techniques through the use of study aids
- Provide information and advice on diet, nutritional needs, breastfeeding, weaning and sugars
- Children who are aged 2 years + will have fluoride varnish applied 2-4 times yearly (this is a banana smelling varnish that has a high concentration of fluoride that is placed on to the teeth to help strengthen them and prevent tooth decay
If you are interested in registering your child with our practice in Glasgow then just get in touch with us today by giving us a call on 0141 445 1829.